Ventolin (salbutamol or albuterol) is a bronchodilator used to treat or prevent bronchospasm, or narrowing of the airways in the lungs, in people with asthma or certain types of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The medication opens up the medium and large airways in the lungs. It is a short-acting β₂ adrenergic receptor agonist.
- Fast-acting bronchodilator
- Few contraindications
- Convenient to use
What is a Ventolin Inhaler?
Ventolin is a medication prescribed for the treatment of bronchial asthma, a disease accompanied by chronic inflammation in the airways and bronchial spasm – breathing becomes difficult. During an attack, the patient cannot breathe, feels shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing. To relieve an attack, bronchodilator drugs like salbutamol are used.
According to accepted clinical guidelines, short-acting bronchodilators (β2-adrenergic agonists) are used as first-line drugs to relieve an attack of bronchial asthma. They are used as a remedy that works quickly (but not for long) for any severity of the disease. With a mild form of bronchial asthma, the drug is especially effective – the attacks are repeated infrequently and proceed easily. As the disease progresses, other drugs are added to the bronchodilators, which must be taken constantly (even if there are no symptoms).
Bronchodilators are used not only for bronchial asthma. Salbutamol is also prescribed to treat other diseases of the respiratory tract accompanied by bronchial obstruction – for example, COPD, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary emphysema. In pediatrics, bronchodilators are indicated for obstructive bronchitis. In obstetric practice, the medicine is used in the threat of premature birth. The drug inhibits uterine contractility and helps to prolong pregnancy.
How does it work?
Salbutamol is a beta-2 – adrenergic agonist that stimulates β-two adrenergic receptors. The latter has a noticeable bronchodilator effect, concentrating in the blood vessels of the bronchi, and expanding the bronchi.
It prevents and interrupts the arising bronchospasm, is able to reduce the resistance that occurs in the airways, while the vital capacity of the lungs increases.
The medicine reduces the release of histamines, promotes the expansion of the coronary arteries of the circulatory system.
It also facilitates the work of the lower parts of the respiratory system – the lungs and bronchi.
Is it safe to buy Ventolin online?
You can purchase Ventolin online provided that your physician recommended using this medicine. If you haven’t used this inhaler before, see a doctor and get medical advice.
When buying Ventolin online from us, you can also get advice from our experienced online pharmacists. They are available 24/7 to help you choose the right treatment and place an order in a few clicks.
All orders will be delivered in discreet packaging in the shortest possible time.
Be sure to order medicines from a licensed online pharmacy. Only in this case you can expect to get an authentic and high-quality product.
What are the benefits of using Ventolin?
- Good organoleptic properties of the preparation;
- Rapid relief of asthma attacks;
- No dry mouth after inhalation;
- Few contraindications;
- Convenient to use;
- Low cost;
- Safe for 2-year-old children.
How to use salbutamol inhalers?
To relieve the symptoms of bronchial asthma in adults and children over 12 years: 1 inhalation. The dose can be increased to 2 inhalations.
To prevent the symptoms of bronchial asthma in adults and children over 12 years: 2 inhalations before the expected contact with the allergen and before physical exertion.
The daily dose should not exceed 800 mcg.
For long-term maintenance therapy: 200 mcg 4 times a day.
The dosage must be determined by your doctor on an individual basis. Overdose is manifested by tremors, tachycardia, metabolic disorders. Overdose treatment is symptomatic.
Check the inhaler before using it for the first time and also if you have not used it for some time.
To make inhalation:
- Remove the cap from the inhaler. Make sure the outlet tube is clean;
- Hold the cylinder upright with your thumb on the bottom and your index finger on the top of the cylinder;
- Shake the can vigorously up and down;
- Breathe out as deeply as possible. Place your lips firmly on the outlet tube of the can;
- Take a slow deep breath. At the moment of inhalation, press your index finger on the valve of the cartridge, releasing the dose of medicine. Continue to inhale slowly;
- Remove the inhaler tube from your mouth and hold your breath for 10 seconds or as much as you can without straining. Exhale slowly.
If you need more than one dose of salbutamol, wait about a minute and then repeat starting from step 2. Put the cap back on the inhaler.
Take your time in steps 3 and 4. It is important to inhale as slowly as possible when you inhale the medication. Before use, practice in front of the mirror. If you notice steam coming out of the top of the can or from the corners of your mouth, start over from step 2.
Side effects and cautions
Ventolin is a mono-drug. It is well tolerated but in some cases can cause the following side effects: heart palpitations, headache, nausea and vomiting, hand tremor, decreased level of potassium in the blood, allergic reaction. In rare cases, paradoxical bronchospasm can occur.
The drug is not used in children under the age of 2 years. The medicine is contraindicated in the following conditions: hypersensitivity to the components, threatening miscarriage, birth canal infection, intrauterine fetal death, and premature placental abruption.
Used with caution: chronic heart failure, myocarditis, tachyarrhythmias, ischemia, thyrotoxicosis, epilepsy, gastrointestinal stenosis, aortic stenosis. Pregnant and breastfeeding patients must use the drug under the supervision of a physician.
Can I use salbutamol inhalers with a spacer?
Yes, you can use a spacer each time you use your inhaler. A spacer is a device used to increase the ease of administering aerosolized medication from a metered-dose inhaler. A spacer makes it easier to coordinate breathing in and pressing your puffer. If you use your albuterol inhaler without a spacer, then most of the medicine does not reach your lungs, where it works best.
How to use an inhaler with a spacer:
Make sure that there are no foreign objects inside the device before use, especially if the device is used by a child. Foreign objects can get into the respiratory tract and lead to extremely sad consequences!
- If you or your child uses a mask, attach the mask to the mouthpiece of the spacer. Use a spacer through the mouthpiece whenever possible. The use of the mask leads to partial sedimentation of the drug in the nasopharynx, which is undesirable. Use the mask only if you cannot use the spacer through the mouthpiece;
- Shake the inhaler can several times. Insert it into the spacer. Some models of spacers come with a can that does not fit snugly in the spacer, which is not a problem – it only makes the device less convenient for use. Spacers with a universal elastic landing sleeve are more convenient to use and fit all types of inhalers;
- Close your lips around the mouthpiece of the spacer. If you are using a mask, press the mask firmly to your face. Make sure that the mask fits snugly to the face. Choose a mask of the appropriate size! Remember: the beard significantly impairs the tightness of the mask, which negatively affects the quality of inhalation;
- Inject one drug into the spacer. If the doctor has prescribed more than one dose of the drug at a time, the procedure should be repeated after the first inhalation. Do not make more than one injection of the drug into the spacer at a time;
- Take 2-3 calm deep breaths of the drug. Do not inhale too fast, this will impair the quality of the medication. Some spacers are equipped with an audible warning for too fast inhalation. This allows you to develop a more correct breathing maneuver during inhalation;
- In no case should you exhale into the spacer. This can lead to the deposition of the drug on the walls of the device. As a result, a significantly lower dose will enter the respiratory system. Choose a spacer with an exhalation valve. This will exclude the likelihood of even accidental exhalation into the spacer of both an adult and (especially!) a child;
- If you inhale a child, try to make sure that he/she takes 2-3 breaths in one injection of the drug. Young children should use spacers with an inhalation indicator, which will allow you to visually monitor the inhalation process.
Is it OK to use salbutamol for coughing?
Yes. This inhaler soothes the airways and relieves/suppresses the need to cough. The medicine can allow you the peace to recover. If the inhaler doesn’t help and the cough worsens, it’s important to consult a doctor again to exclude other health problems.
How quickly does Ventolin work?
Ventolin is classified as a “rescue inhaler”. It works almost straight away – usually in 5-15 minutes – to make your breathing easier. If you have exercise-induced asthma you can have a puff of your inhaler a10-15 before exercise to help control the flare-up. It carries on working for about 5 hours.
Can the medicine damage your lungs?
When used as recommended by the doctor and specified in the instructions for use, the inhaler does not cause any harm to your lungs or general health. However, according to the recent research carried out at Leicester University, an overdose of Ventolin (one-time dose or too frequent use) can cause the lungs to release harmful chemicals.
I suffered from asthma so long before I went to the doctor and she prescribed salbutamol inhaler to me. It has made my breathing easier. The only downside is sometimes I’m dizzy for a while after using the inhaler, but this side effect is short-lived.
I’ve been suffering from asthma for 30 years. Ventolin works very quickly to relieve an attack. If I have severe attacks, i need higher doses. my treatment is accompanied by Becotide.
Helps control sport-induced inflammation of my airway. Works better than other drugs in delivering medication deep into lungs.
Ventolin works perfectly, effective after 10 seconds.
A good product! It makes me feel much better whenever asthma hits me, I take 2 puffs and after a few minutes, I can breathe easily already!