Xopenex is an agent that is prescribed for the treatment of bronchial asthma, reversible bronchospasm associated with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Its main component is Levalbuterol.
This inhaler is a short-acting bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs.
- Fast-acting bronchodilator
- Bronchodilator and systemic effect
- Convenient to use
What is Xopenex?
Xopenex is an anti-asthmatic agent, β2-sympathomimetic agent. This drug belongs to a short-acting bronchodilator that relaxes the muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs. For the effect to come it is necessary to follow all directions on the label and packaging of your medicine. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all of your diagnosis, allergies, and any medications you use.
What is Xopenex used for?
This inhaler is used for the treatment of wheezing and shortness of breath. These are the most common symptoms occuring with lung problems such as:
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Its main duty is to relax the muscles surrounding the airways so that they open up and you can breathe more easily. Inhalations with Levalbuterol is used to treat or prevent asthma attacks in adults and children at least 4 years old.
How to use this inhaler?
It is necessary to follow the instruction for use when starting to apply this asthma inhaler. The instruction for use includes the following steps:
- shake the inhaler;
- remove the protective cap;
- turn the inhaler upside down;
- breathe out fully through closed lips;
- grasp the inhaler mouthpiece tightly with your lips;
- starting to inhale, press the bottom of the inhaler and inhale the medicine deeply. In this case, there should be a feeling that the medicine did not remain in the mouth, but reach the bronchi;
- hold your breath for 5-10 seconds;
- exhale calmly;
- put a protective cap on the inhaler.
Some patients cannot synchronize inhalation with pressing on the can’s bottom. Currently, it is recommended to use spacers – plastic cameras of various designs and sizes. They are also recommended when using inhaled GCS. Ask patients if they know about spacers, and if so, let them demonstrate how to use it. The rules for using the spacer are as follows:
- remove the protective cap, shake the inhaler and insert it into the spacer;
- place your lips around the mouth end of the spacer;
- press the inhaler so that the medicine enters the spacer;
- inhale deep and slow;
- hold your breath for 5-10 seconds, then exhale through the mouth end;
- repeat inhalation without pressing the inhaler;
- detach from the spacer;
- wait 30 seconds, then inhale a second dose of aerosol (if necessary) and repeat steps 1-7.
Is Xopenex (Levalbuterol) the same as albuterol?
These two substances are not definitely the same. They have either common or opposite sides. Levalbuterol and albuterol are both inhaled medicines that are intended for the treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Both drugs treat acute respiratory symptoms such as bronchospasms, wheezing, shortness of breath, and coughing. They are characterized as rescue asthma inhalers (fast-acting) used to cope with a sudden attack.
Both substances belong to a class of drugs known as beta-2 agonists. They are similar because of their chemical similarities. Levalbuterol contains the active form of albuterol, known as R-albuterol, while albuterol contains a 50:50 mixture of R-albuterol and S-albuterol. S-albuterol is known to be an inactive form of albuterol.
As you can see, there is certain similarity of these medications. As a result, only a doctor having assessed patient’s state may decide what inhaler to choose.
Is this inhaler a rescue one?
Yes, it is. Levalbuterol, the main ingredient of this inhaler, is characterized as a rescue drug. It starts acting fast and help releave bronchospasm. The only danger is when you use too much inhalations, you have to visit a doctor to prescribe a new treatment plan.
How long does it take Xopenex to work?
Inhale this drug into your lungs as prescribed by your healthcare professional, usually 3 times a day. It takes about 5 to 15 minutes to start the drug acting. Use this medication only through a nebulizer. Do not swallow or inject the solution.
This drug belongs to a group of fast-acting inhalers as a result the effect comes fast by releaving the asthma attack.
Can you take this asthma inhaler and albuterol together?
No, you cannot. Every substance should be used separetely. The combination of these substances may result in the increase of cardiovascular side effects such as:
- heart rate elevations;
- blood pressure swings;
- irregular heart rhythm.
Before applying these substances together, please address your healthcare provider.
What happens if this drug is in eyes?
Try to avoid this medication to get into your eyes as it may cause eye pain/irritation, temporary blurred vision, and other vision changes. If such a situation takes place, it is recommended to wash eyes with water while itching disappears. If you are not sure to use an inhaler correctly, you are welcome to use a nebulizer with a saline solution. Firther, it will be explained how to use this inhaler with a nebulizer.
How to administer this substance through a nebulizer step by step
- During inhalation, the patient should be in a sitting position, not talking and keep the nebulizer chamber upright.
- Before inhalation, it is necessary to check the expiration date of the drug. Pharmacy packaging with medicinal substance should be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly closed package. The drug is used within 2 weeks after the package has been opened.
- Use sterile physiological solution as a solvent (do not use boiled water at home), for filling the inhalation solution – sterile needles and syringes.
- It is recommended to use 4 ml filling volume of the nebulizer; initially, physiological solution is poured into the nebulizer chamber, and then the required drug dose is added.
- When treating the deep parts of the respiratory tract during inhalation, try to breathe deeply, slowly, through the mouth (especially important when using a mask), try to hold your breath for 1-2 seconds before each exhalation.
- In case of diseases of the pharynx, larynx, trachea, inhale the aerosol intensively through the mouth, after a deep inhalation through the mouth, hold your breath for 2 seconds, then exhale completely through the nose.
- In case of diseases of the nose, paranasal sinuses and nasopharynx, it is necessary to use a mask or nasal cannulas, inhale and exhale through the nose, breathing calmly, preferably shallow, without tension.
- After inhaling steroids and antibiotics, rinse your mouth thoroughly. It is recommended to rinse your mouth and throat with boiled water at room temperature. Do not rinse your throat with antiseptic solutions.
- Inhalation is carried out no earlier than 1-1.5 hours after eating and physical activity. Smoking is prohibited for 1 hour before and after inhalation.
- After inhalation, rinse the nebulizer with clean, if possible sterile water, dry using napkins.
- After each use, the nebulizer must be disconnected from the compressor and disassembled. Remove the rest of the medicine. Rinse all parts that have come into contact with the patient or medication with clean hot water. Disinfection is carried out at home 2 times a week by boiling, in a hospital setting – in accordance with hygienic requirements. All parts of the nebulizer must be dry before use. To do this, wipe them after washing with a soft, lint-free cloth. Frequent flushing of the nebulizer is necessary to prevent drug crystallization and bacterial contamination.
What is the price of Xopenex inhaler?
The price for this inhaler is $29.95 per item. This price is actual if you buy 2 inhalers at once. If you decide to buy 4 inhalers at once, the price per item will be $24.95 per item. As a result, the more you buy the more you save with Advanced Cell.
This drug produces less side effects that’s why I appreciate it the most. My doctor and me decided Xopenex is the best option for mt.
Not help me. My doctor decided to prescribe me another long-acting inhaler but it doesn’t characterized this drug as ineffective. Every person has an individual response to a drug.
Effective for my asthma state. It causes less side effects, this drug is well-tolerated. Xopenex is my rescue drug.